[tor-dev] Per-peer stream isolation for Bitcoin clients

Roger Dingledine arma at torproject.org
Thu Jun 27 22:01:38 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 07:53:54AM +1000, teor wrote:
> And you're right, Tor Browser can use lots more than 8 circuits, so
> I wouldn't worry about it.
>
> Do you know how much load Bitcoin places on the Tor network?
>
> If it's a lot, one good answer is to encourage users to run relays,
> or to donate to organisations that run relays. (Or donate to Tor,
> so we can make the network more efficient.)

Right -- my first question would be "8 circuits per what?" That is,
how often does it use eight new circuits?

If it makes 8 circuits and then holds them open and uses each of them
for a long period of time, that sounds like a solid win -- you get
isolation between streams with little downside.

If we're talking 8 circuits per new gadget, and the new gadgets are
pretty frequent, then the tradeoff becomes more complicated.

--Roger