[tor-dev] Proposal 305: ESTABLISH_INTRO Cell DoS Defense Extension

juanjo juanjo at avanix.es
Wed Jun 12 18:47:14 UTC 2019

Hello, this is my view of things, please be gentle as this is my first
proposal draft :)

_ADAPTIVE POW PROPOSAL:_

Client sends the INTRODUCE1 as normal.

Introduction Point checks the Current Requests Rate and checks the DoS
settings.

-DoS check is OK: send INTRODUCE2 to Hidden Service etc...

-DoS settings/rate limit reached: then

     1.Introduction Point generates a random 8 bytes key (IPKey) and
associates it with the client circuit. Then send INTRODUCE_POW to the
Client with the IPKey.
     2.Client computes POW.
     Do{
Generates random 8 bytes key (ClientKey).
Generates hash(sha512/256 or sha3??) of
hash(IPKey + ClientKey)
} while (hash does not start with "abcde")

     3. Client sends INTRODUCE_POWR to the I.P. with the generated POW
and the ClientKey.
     4. I.P. checks the POW:

         -POW is correct: send INTRODUCE2 to HS.
         -POW is not correct: send INTRODUCE_POW_ERROR to client with
new IPKey.

*I say 8 bytes for the Keys just for example.

PROS AND CONS, who needs to update Tor version?:

Only rate limit: Introduction Point and Hidden Service. No breakage.

POW: Client, Introduction Point and Hidden Service. POW will break
compatibility with other v3 Hidden Services clients, if we implement a
way to bypass POW for old clients then this feature won't work as intended.

A forgotten guy here: Authenticated Rends cell: where we make sure the
Client established a connection to the Rend Point before requesting the
INTRODUCE1.