[tor-dev] Raising AuthDirMaxServersPerAddr to 4?

teor teor at riseup.net
Sun Jun 2 12:11:46 UTC 2019

Hi,

In your first email, you said:

>>> He used to push an average of 500mbit on his exit relay, but then the
>>> HSDir DoS flatlined his relay for a while (!), and now, perhaps due to
>>> the bwauth variability, his exit relay only recovered to maybe 200mbit.
>>> He is running a second exit relay on that IP address, but also perhaps
>>> due to the bwauth variability, it hasn't attracted much attention either.

The relay's recent history is a bit more complicated. This fingerprint has
only been around since October 2018. It pushed 500 mbit from November 2018
to January 2019, then failed from January to March 2019. Its other bandwidths
are about the same as they are now, at around 250 mbit.

And there are two exits on this machine. Here's the other one:

https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/6B37261F1248DA6E6BB924161F8D7B019BC3B5B4

It's RelayBandwidthRate-limited to 15 MBytes/s, so the operator's first
step should be to remove this limit, and wait a week for the bandwidths
to stabilise.

The first exit is also rate-limited to 85 MBytes/s. It might be a good
idea to remove both limits at the same time.

Tor is only using about 50% of advertised exit bandwidth right now. These
particular exits are using 35% and 60% of their bandwidth limits.

So I don't see anything unusual happening here.

Can you hold off on your proposed changes until we see what happens after
the bandwidth limits are removed?

I'll send a separate detailed email with the sbws diagnostics.