[tor-dev] 24 hours worth of BridgeDB usage metrics

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Tue Jul 30 15:42:11 UTC 2019

On 2019-07-30 00:01, Philipp Winter wrote:
> [...]
>
> After a cursory look at the numbers, I would like to aggregate the data,
> to make it easier to compare distributors, transports, and countries.
> For example: how do moat, email, and HTTPS rank in popularity?  I'll
> improve the patch to keep track of these numbers in separate metrics.
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions?

Looks like a great start!

I have two questions and one suggestion, based on a quick read:

You say that you're planning to add aggregate statistics like numbers by
distributor without drilling down to transports or countries. Keep in
mind that this is going to reduce the noise that you added when rounding
up to multiples of 10. For example, knowing that the total by country is
closer to $entries_in_that_country * 1 or $entries_in_that_country * 10
will tell you something about the average noise added per entry. It
would be more privacy-preserving (and also less accurate) to keep all
the noise in the statistics and do the aggregation in a separate step.

What is obs4 in bridgedb-metric-count email.obs4.gmail.fail.none 10 (as
opposed to obfs4)?

Would it make sense to add a line like bridge-stats-version to include a
version number of some sort, just in case you want to change the format
at a later time?

> Cheers,
> Philipp

All the best,