[tor-dev] What hidden services does my relay node know about?

Matt Traudt pastly at torproject.org
Mon Jul 29 12:42:36 UTC 2019

On 7/29/19 08:08, Matt Traudt wrote:
> On 7/29/19 07:44, clive.jenson at tutanota.com wrote:
>> I built tor from source and am running it as a relay (not exit node) and
>> also as a directory server. It is my understanding that after a while I
>> should experience V2 hidden services publishing their descriptors to me
>> (each hidden service picks 6 directory servers at random to publish
>> their descriptor to). How can I tell if this is happening? Can I
>> (temporarily, for debugging purposes) view the descriptors being
>> published to me?
>>
>> I'm thinking their might be some useful logging if I enable debug logs
>> (but I can't find it)? Or maybe there is something I can get over the
>> control protocol (but I couldn't find anything obvious in the stem API
>> docs that exposes it)? Or maybe I could make a code change to log this
>> information (I'm not sure where the code is that receives the
>> announcements)?
>>

> Onion services will use your relay to store descriptors once it has the
> HSDir flag. You can't determine which onion services or how many onion
> services are using you without code changes.
>
> Doing this is considered being a malicious relay and will get your relay
> removed from the Tor network.

If this question came up and was sent to tor-dev@ because you intend to
perform research: it may be prudent to stop what you're doing and
content the Research Safety Board.

https://research.torproject.org/safetyboard/

If you're just a curious relay operator that reached out to tor-dev@:
everything is fine, thanks for running a relay, and don't start
modifying Tor or logging traffic for "debugging purposes" as you might
put yourself or Tor users in risk. Mail tor-relays@, or hop on #tor or
#tor-relays on OFTC if something seems wrong. (Your relay looks fine,
except consider setting your ContactInfo
https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/ED279FC87D17921131CB629BA1D4E6B0F8C00BF8)

Matt