[tor-dev] Fwd: Re: Onion Service - Intropoint DoS Defenses

juanjo juanjo at avanix.es
Thu Jul 4 18:39:12 UTC 2019

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [tor-dev] Onion Service - Intropoint DoS Defenses
Date: 	Thu, 4 Jul 2019 20:38:48 +0200
From: 	juanjo <juanjo at avanix.es>
To: 	David Goulet <dgoulet at torproject.org>

These experiments and final note confirm what I thought about this rate
limiting feature from the start: it is missing important parts. Ok, you
can protect the network a little and the HS, but the general
availability is not affected so it actually does not help for that.

I wanna make a proposal including many things at the same time, but I
don't have much time to follow the guidelines to make a official
proposal. Maybe in some weeks?

Again, I repeat: things that should be done now:

-Authenticated rend signature. This would help a lot I think.

-Mid-term: PoW for the client when reaching the 305prop limit instead of
denying access? IDK, all always configurable.

-Deprecate clients or allow the Hidden Service to configure the IP to
allow access for old version clients (not supporting new antiDoS
features) or not. If we allow old version without protections, all
security measures are useless.

And just a new idea: what about make the rotation of IP dynamic based on
this prop305 values? + time based rotation:
One of the goal for rotation was defending against correlation attacks:
if we set a lower limit we have a potential DoS (right now), if we set
it high we have a potential correlation attack, bigger surface.
What about we join time based rotation (ex. 24 hours) + or limit reached
based on the prop305 values.