[tor-dev] using obfs4 to tunnel to a SOCKS proxy server

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Thu Jan 24 23:03:19 UTC 2019

David Fifield:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 11:41:42AM +0000, Yawning Angel wrote:
>>> For example, could the obfs4 server side provide a generic SOCKS proxy?
>>
>> There is no functionality for doing such a thing in mainline obfs4proxy.
>>
>> What currently will work is any one of:
>>
>>  * Stick a proxy server of your choice behind the obfs4proxy server.
>> From the application end it will essentially be connecting to a (for
>> example) SOCKS5 proxy over another SOCKS5 proxy.
>>
>>  * Connect the obfs4proxy server to a load-balancer or reverse-proxy
>> that re-dispatches requests to the correct location based on the SNI
>> block or `Host` header (depending on how you want to treat TLS).
>
> This is the right answer. Fundamentally you need two layers of proxying:
> one at the PT layer (obfs4proxy PT interface) and one at your
> application layer (where you implement problem-specific logic like
> domain whitelists).
>
> On the server, you will point TOR_PT_ORPORT at a SOCKS server or load
> balancer, rather than directly at the target web server. The
> obfs4_server.sh script will work fine for that; you could also try
> https://github.com/twisteroidambassador/ptadapter. The SOCKS server will
> have to support a destination whitelist--or you could just put it on a
> host with an appropriate outgoing firewall. Instead of a SOCKS server,
> you could use load balancer/reverse proxy like Yawning says. Here are a
> few that have SNI proxying (I've personally only used sslh):
> https://www.haproxy.com/blog/enhanced-ssl-load-balancing-with-server-name-indication-sni-tls-extension/
> https://github.com/yrutschle/sslh
> https://github.com/dlundquist/sniproxy
>
> But you're going to encounter an undesirable feature of this setup:
> there's a 1:1 relationship between application-layer connections and
> obfuscation-layer tunnels. That is, if the app makes 2 HTTPS connections
> to 2 different Wikimedia domains, there will be 2 obfs4 tunnels
> happening. It will work, but it's more conspicuous and will notionally
> make website fingerprinting easier. What you may want is a multiplexing
> protocol that collapses multiple streams into one on the client side (to
> feed into the obfs4 tunnel) and splits them back apart again on the
> server side. (In the usual Tor setup, it's the Tor protocol that serves
> this multiplexing function--you only have one long-lived connection to
> your guard, not a separate connection for every application-layer
> stream.) Unfortunately I don't know of any out-of-the-box that does
> this. You might try https://github.com/xtaci/smux; also lately I've been
> thinking a lot about applying https://github.com/lucas-clemente/quic-go
> to this problem.

Sounds like these are the right direction.  Just to clarify: I was
thinking of obfs4 like an SSH port forward, not as the provider of a
SOCKS proxy.  So "server-side" means running daemon alongside obfs4proxy
to do the other bits.  What you two have outlined sounds like exactly that.

Is this the same with other PT 1.1 daemons?  Or would Snowflake be
different?  Seems like with obfs4, the load balancer using SNI would
probably be the easiest for the wikipedia use case.

.hc

--
PGP fingerprint: EE66 20C7 136B 0D2C 456C  0A4D E9E2 8DEA 00AA 5556
https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xE9E28DEA00AA5556