[tor-dev] anti-censorship weekly meeting notes

Gaba gaba at torproject.org
Thu Jan 24 20:48:53 UTC 2019

Hi!

We had the weekly meeting today!  Our next meeting will be in two weeks
on February 7th 20:00 UTC

You can find the logs here:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2019/tor-meeting.2019-01-24-20.04.html

And the contents of the pad:

ANTI-CENSORSHIP work meeting pad
--------------------------------

Next meeting: Thursday February 7th 20:00 UTC

Weekly meetings every Thursday 20:00 UTC on #tor-meeting at OFTC
(channel is logged while meetings are in progress).

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship.

== Links to Useful documents ==

Anti-censorship Roadmap:
https://storm.torproject.org/shared/KXkqlNP8ouNks_ey5khZKUSbNj9ZoidXmEp80ODDMsN

Snowflake Roadmap:
https://storm.torproject.org/shared/OdNtwrtRrqklh76l4PfcngBbQFDbjv_jRroj0WeSY0B
Gettor Roadmap:
https://storm.torproject.org/shared/rhsSl_3Pb253HPqoCdFiAdmXQ57NUG_BLvBCxqF_Kqp
Bridgedb Roadmap:
https://storm.torproject.org/shared/O4XpgyW_q6CAtPPO_nd_Qc16Up-jXqdJLG8gXZYX_e2

Roger's thoughts on anti-censorship's priorities:
https://storm.torproject.org/shared/kU83M2pQehsnQZPzR_mwmYslAijqKgYNOEak57TSLAt
Komlo's thoughts on anti-censorship's plan:
https://pad.riseup.net/p/CensorshipTeam-Planning-keep
Dfcr's thoughts on anti-censorship's priorities (Snowflake only):
https://share.riseup.net/#sU0_Jv7OXz8dDK5DHqDVAw

-------------------------------
----   24th January 2019   ----
-------------------------------

== Announcements ==

    Snowflake extensions: needs developer, let's check who/how in the
browser team can do it (antonela, pili, gabA)  <-- still working on this

    Gettor: meet outside weekly anti-censorship meeting to define scope
(antonela, gaba, hiro) <-- still working on this

== Discussion ==

    Snowflake

== Actions ==

== Updates ==

FORMAT!

Name:
    Last week:
        - What you worked on last week a
    This week:
        - What you are planning to work on next week (related to
anti-censorship work).
    Help with:

         - Something you may need help with.

Gaba:

    This week (01/24):

    preparation for roadmap exercise with network team

ahf:
    Last week:

    - Documenting current Snowflake architecture and identify problems
related to scalability and usability (both for developers and users).
(#28848)

    - Documenting basic WebRTC usage to allow other developers to
quickly join in on it. (#28048) [<-- wrong ticket number? 28048 is
"Metrics: Allow to search for relays per continent"]

    - Identifying bug where Snowflake proxy becomes unresponsive in a
smaller environment. (possibly #25429?)

    This week (01/24):

    - Was out sick friday/monday, didn't do much.

    - Preparing for network team meeting in brussels where I hope to
help the new hire for the anti-censorship team with things related to this:

    - A talk about Snowflake that will hopefully make everyone be able
to look at the code quickly.

    - Email to Kat about some scalability concerns that I think is worth
having in mind about Snowflake: Numbers of bridges, etc.

kat5:
    Working on:
      - report 2
      - private bridge guide for NGOs (hold off until we figure out a
strategy for making set-up easy)

anto:

    Working on:

    - Snowflake Web Extension UI -

    - Put together a PRD for Gettor, needs more info and review -
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18R_tUnqfFkn7d93w0pEbBOLxB62KAWHbUGd5MPKLB8w/edit?usp=sharing

    Help with

    - snowflake extension: in need of a developer

pili (offline):
    working on:
        - gettor

            - agreed on next steps to deploy refactored code with ilv
and hiro

    - still need to define project scope with gaba, antonela and hiro

    help with:
        - Browser team can't commit anyone to work on snowflake web
extension - can we not just:
            a) wait for integration into cupcake (see
https://github.com/glamrock/cupcake/issues/24) - we can help them with
this also
            b) wait for anti-censorship developer - we need to also
think about who is going to maintain this webextension

dcf:
    Last week:
        - minor UX improvement for Snowflake proxy (#25722) - antonela
has more ambitious changes in #27385
        - monkeying with uTLS in meek-client (#29077)
        - meek and snowflake sysadmin
    This week:
        - more uTLS in meek-client, restore proxy support
        - more sysadmin (#29171, #29172)

Samdney:
    Working on:
     - Will also have a look at the WebExtension ticket #23888 :)
     - Looking for something where they can help!!! - If you have
anything in the direction of "research" or "investigation" in something,
then I'm your guy! :)
     (- I'm working on a research project about censor <-> classical
attacker in game theory. That's maybe later, when I have results :),
interesting for UX/dev stuff.)

_hc/eighthave:
    uniqx and I have been working on ways to integrate PTs into apps
easily. we have a working client/server automation setup based in Python.
    We also were trying to do a more generic proxy,
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2019-January/013637.html

     n8fr8 is working on getting obfs4 into our Android Pluggable
Transports library. he's having trouble getting it to connect to our
server automation

     In Feb, I'll be working on figuring out a good URL scheme for
bridge configuraton - #15035

     OTF accepted our Concept Note with Stephen Farrell for working on
ESNI and ensuring circumvention is included.  We are submitting the
proposal now, chances look good!