[tor-dev] using obfs4 to tunnel to a SOCKS proxy server

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Wed Jan 23 10:42:16 UTC 2019

Hey all,

Hopefully this is a valid place to ask about PTs technical details.  So
n8fr8, uniqx (Michael Pöhn), and I are working to make an easily
reproducible obfs4 client and server setup with ansible scripts

uniqx got the setup working with obfs4 connecting to a port on the
server side, like a webserver. Weŕe trying to figure out a way to make
this obfs4 setup to behave like an SSH port forward, but weŕe banging
our heads against the concept.

For example, could the obfs4 server side provide a generic SOCKS proxy?
Hereś the use case:  wikimedia foundation wants to run their own PTs
built into their own client but it needs to support multiple domains,
e.g. en.wikipedia.org and commons.wikimedia.org.  So we would like to
have a generic SOCKS proxy for the client.  Then server side, the SOCKS
proxy only allows connections to a whitelist of wikimedia servers.

Here are uniqxś PT projects:
https://gitlab.com/uniqx/pt-obfs4proxy-minimal-demo
https://gitlab.com/uniqx/pt-socks5-over-obfs4proxy
https://gitlab.com/uniqx/pt-obfs4proxy-tcp-bridge
https://gitlab.com/uniqx/pt-tor-obfs4-bridge-test-vm

.hc

--
PGP fingerprint: EE66 20C7 136B 0D2C 456C  0A4D E9E2 8DEA 00AA 5556
https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xE9E28DEA00AA5556