[tor-dev] Upcoming Tor change with application impact: "Dormant Mode"

Michael Rogers michael at briarproject.org
Fri Jan 4 12:55:34 UTC 2019

Sorry, I have one more follow-up question.

On 02/01/2019 21:00, Nick Mathewson wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 6:34 AM Michael Rogers <michael at briarproject.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Nick,
>>
>> Is the guard connection closed when becoming dormant?
>
> No; it times out independently.

In that case I assume keepalives from the guard don't prevent Tor from
becoming dormant, or wake it from dormant mode. On Android, a keepalive
will briefly wake the CPU. When that happens, will Tor consume the
keepalive from the network buffer while remaining dormant, or does the
controller need to wake Tor from dormant mode periodically to ensure it
reads from the guard connection?

Thanks again,
Michael