[tor-dev] Upcoming Tor change with application impact: "Dormant Mode"

Michael Rogers michael at briarproject.org
Fri Jan 4 12:43:08 UTC 2019

Hi Nick,

Thanks very much for the reply. Follow-ups inline below.

On 02/01/2019 21:00, Nick Mathewson wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 6:34 AM Michael Rogers <michael at briarproject.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Nick,
>>
>> Is the guard connection closed when becoming dormant?
>
> No; it times out independently.

That's good news from my point of view, but in that case I think the
idea of terminating the pluggable transport process when becoming
dormant might need to be reconsidered?

>> On 13/12/2018 20:56, Nick Mathewson wrote:
>>>        DormantTimeoutDisabledByIdleStreams 0|1
>>>            If true, then any open client stream (even one not reading or
>>>            writing) counts as client activity for the purpose of
>>>            DormantClientTimeout. If false, then only network activity counts.
>>>            (Default: 1)
>>
>> When this option's set to 0 and Tor becomes dormant, will it close any
>> idle client connections that are still open?
>
> No.  By default, it won't go dormant if there are any idle client
> connections. See DormantTimeoutDisabledByIdleStreams for the option
> that overrides that behavior.

When DormantTimeoutDisabledByIdleStreams is set to 0, what happens to
idle client connections when Tor goes dormant?

>> Will it close client connections on receiving SIGNAL DORMANT?
>
> No.
>
>> If Tor doesn't close client connections when becoming dormant, will it
>> become active again (or send an event that the controller can use to
>> trigger SIGNAL ACTIVE) if there's activity on an open client stream?
>
> No, but that might be a good idea if
> DormantTimeoutDisabledByIdleStreams is set to 0.

Sorry, do you mean it might be a good idea for Tor to become active
again/send an event in that case? Should I open a ticket for this if it
looks like we'll need it?

Cheers,
Michael