[tor-dev] Proposal: Don't include package fingerprints in consensus documents

teor teor at riseup.net
Fri Feb 22 02:29:17 UTC 2019

Hi,

> On 22 Feb 2019, at 07:59, Iain Learmonth <irl at torproject.org> wrote:
>
> Signed PGP part
> Hi All,
>
> #28465 [0] needed a proposal. Feedback is welcome and encouraged. I've
> not written a proposal before, so if someone could let me know if I'm
> following the process OK (or not) then that is useful too.
>
> [0] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/28465
>
> <xxx-dont-vote-on-package-fingerprints.txt>

Proposal:

> 0. Abstract
>
>    I propose modifying the Tor consensus document to remove
>    digests of the latest versions of one or more package files, to
>    prevent software using Tor from determining its up-to-dateness, and
>    to hinder users wanting to verify that they are getting the correct
>    software.

I had to read this paragraph twice to understand it.
The way it's written, it sounds like we're doing a bad thing.
(Until I read the "security" section at the end of the proposal.)

Can you mention the positive aspects in the Abstract?

> 2. Proposal
>
>    We deprecate the "package" line in the specification for votes.
>
>    If the consensus method is at least XX then "package" lines should
>    not appear in consensuses.

Let's be a bit more precise:

   We allocate a consensus method when this proposal is implemented.
   Let's call it consensus method N.

   If the consensus method is between 19 and (N-1), "package" lines
   MAY appear in consensuses. If the consensus method is less than
   19, or at least N, "package" lines MUST NOT appear in consensuses.

I'd like to add another part to the proposal:

   Directory authorities stop voting for "package" lines in their
   votes. Changes to votes do not require a new consensus method, so
   this part of the proposal can be implemented separately.

Based on:

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/28465#comment:1
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/28465#comment:3