[tor-dev] New Proposal 306: A Tor Implementation of IPv6 Happy Eyeballs

NOC tor at afo-tm.org
Fri Aug 2 03:02:22 UTC 2019

That would imply that guard relays run at 100% capacity which i can't
confirm for any of my guards. Also seeing decline in usage would maybe
give a incentive for some relay operators to configure IPv6 in their
torrc, because there are thousands of relays which do have IPv6
connectivity, but the operator simply didn't configure it because it is
not as easy as putting "ORPort 9001" in your torrc and it listens on
IPv4 and IPv6.

Sadly ORPort 9001 gives you a working relay which listens only on IPv4,
so i would say the lack of IPv6 enabled relays is a problem which is
created by how the config works and that a default torrc file loses no
word about IPv6.

Beside that if i look at
https://metrics.torproject.org/bandwidth-flags.html the Tor network
could lose their entire IPv4 only guards and still work, but after that
guards would indeed run at 100% capacity.