[tor-dev] New Proposal 306: A Tor Implementation of IPv6 Happy Eyeballs

teor teor at riseup.net
Thu Aug 1 00:36:32 UTC 2019

Hi Neel,

> On 30 Jul 2019, at 03:11, Neel Chauhan <neel at neelc.org> wrote:
>
> Just a reminder that this proposal (Prop306) needs to be reviewed: https://github.com/torproject/torspec/pull/87

I can't find these changes that I requested to the proposal:

>> On 14 Jul 2019, at 02:47, teor <teor at riseup.net> wrote:
>>
>> I have some overall comments on the proposal:
>>
>> 1. The proposal is very large now. Let's add an intro section that splits the changes into:

These parts of the proposal exist, but they are not in separate sections:

>>  * initial feasability testing (for initial developer review)
>>  * minimum viable product (for testing in Tor Browser Alpha)
>>  * parameter tuning (for performance, load, and user experience)
>>  * optional features, and how we will know if we need them (if users experience particular bugs)

These parts of the proposal do not exist:

>>  * relay statistics (for ongoing monitoring)

This modification is not in the current proposal:

>> 2. Bridges can't be configured with an IPv4 and an IPv6 address in tor, because tor only accepts one IP address per bridge. Let's be clear that bridges are out of scope. (Tor already attempts to connect to all? its configured bridges.)

I added some suggest text to make bridges out of scope for this proposal.

I don't see any deleted text:

>> 3. Each revision of this proposal has added text. Is there any text that is redundant or not essential? Can we make it shorter?

David suggested we delete one section, and I suggested we keep some of it, but delete most of it. I also suggested we move some alternative options to an appendix.

Is there anything else you think we can delete?