[tor-dev] ICLab testing of default bridges

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Thu Apr 11 21:51:19 UTC 2019

At the anti-censorship meeting today you mentioned talking to ICLab
about testing the default bridges. I believe that ICLab is already
testing at least a portion of the default bridges; they may have data
that you just have to ask for.

OONI and ICLab test the default bridges as a result of my, Lynn's, and
Qi's asking them to while we were studying default bridge blocking. The
data exist but we never carefully analyzed them. You can see what little
analysis we did at https://arxiv.org/abs/1709.08718 Figure 1 and
Section 5.9.

The data we used is in data/iclab/tor_jsons.tar.bz2 in
https://repo.eecs.berkeley.edu/git-anon/users/fifield/proxy-probe-paper.git.
It's a lot of JSON files that have TCP connect, TLS certificate fetch,
HTTP fetch, and TCP traceroute for each destination. We sent them the
list of bridges in September 2016 and they started measuring shortly
after that. The most recent update to the bridge list we sent them was
in August 2017 for https://bugs.torproject.org/23166.