[tor-dev] Temporary hidden services

Chad Retz chad.retz at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 19:02:01 UTC 2018

I am no expert here, but I'm confused by "the client connecting to the
service knows the service's private key". Why not just create an onion
service (per contact) and then use the client authentication feature
to ensure they share the same secret? Client auth is built in to
discovery and from what I understand, retains anonymity of the owner.
Also, why derive the hidden service key pair from the shared secret
instead of having the sender provide the address based on a privately
derived key pair? To your primary question, I to would like to know
that, given the private key of an onion service, the anonymity of the
original publisher is maintained. I would guess that it is (granted
they can overwrite the descriptor and take it over and what not).

Chad