[tor-dev] UX improvement proposal: Onion auto-redirects using Alt-Svc HTTP header

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Fri Sep 21 15:46:59 UTC 2018

> with the exact same
> restrictions and semantics as the Location HTTP header

Maybe that should be 'syntax'?  Semantics would mean that the header
behaves the same way right?  But it doesn't. Location is a prompt-less
redirect, O-L is a prompted redirect.  Additionally, O-L has an
additional restriction that the URI specified must be .onion?

> websites with lots of client traffic are encouraged

Why do we need to encourage them? Aren't they sufficiently motivated
themselves? I would go so far as to suggest they do _not_ do that,
because there is no fully reliable detection mechanism.  But if they
want to, we 'can provide suggestions for them'?

And perhaps one suggestion is to detect User-Agent and only serve it
to one of the five user-agents that support Tor? (Since we discourage
anything else?)  (TB, TBA, Brave, Orfox, OnionBrowser)

-tom