[tor-dev] Proposal 297: Relaxing the protover-based shutdown rules

Iain Learmonth irl at torproject.org
Fri Sep 21 12:56:33 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 20/09/18 17:03, Ian Goldberg wrote:
> To be clear, the place this is used in otr is exactly to build the
> released *source tarball* from git, so that even the source tarball is
> reproducible.  The binary package builders then build (reproducible)
> binaries from the reproducible source tarball.

I guess this is less bad. Still it is nice to have a backup mechanism in
place to allow for things to work when git isn't around.

I notice that tor's changelogs do have dates. Can we reliably parse that
out and set it to midnight or midday or whatever for time if git
information isn't around (which would likely be the case when you're
looking at a release not in between releases where the date might still
be ??)?

Thanks,
Iain.