[tor-dev] obfs4, meek, active probing and the timeline of pluggable transports

Sambuddho Chakravarty sambuddho at iiitd.ac.in
Sat Oct 27 22:30:14 UTC 2018

Obfs4 can apparently solve most of the problems pertinent to identifying
Tor bridge traffic by inspection of TLS headers...

Meek relies on SNI field of TLS headers to communicate to bridges via a
"front end ".

>From an overall cursory glance it appears that obfs4 was introduced in 2014
while Meek came later (probably 2015). Thus why would one choose to go back
to relying on TLS traffic that could potentially be identified by the
adversary is a bit unclear (considering that there already existed a
superior solution then , i.e. obfs4).