[tor-dev] Add EVENT message to pt-spec.txt and control-spec.txt

Dr. Brandon Wiley brandon at blanu.net
Fri Oct 26 18:31:27 UTC 2018

Well I think this is a great feature and it's something which people have
been requesting for a while now, and which I know was discussed at the PT
meeting at the last TorDev. I think this is the sort of feature that just
makes transports better for everyone, both transport designers and
applications that use transports. Several different options for this sort
of signalling have been discussed in the past at the Pluggable Transport
Implementers Meetings and it's nice to see a concrete proposal.

We have spent several years building a Pluggable Transport community which
includes a diverse group of tool developers that all use Pluggable
Transports. Tor is a key member of this group and has participated in all
of our meetings and the development of our community process for revision
of the Pluggable Transport specification. By following the community
process for proposing changes to the PT specification, all stakeholders get
a chance to provide feedback on the proposal and we an ensure ease of use
for developers in terms of clarity on backwards compatibility and semantic
versioning.

I would love to see this proposal submitted through the community
specification process for inclusion in the next release of the
specification. Simply add a proposal to the proposals/ directory of the
specification repository (
https://github.com/Pluggable-Transports/Pluggable-Transports-spec) and
issue a pull request. We will then add it to the schedule for review,
discussion, and eventual inclusion in a specification release.

Great work, and I look forward to working with you to get this useful
functionality for all transports and transport-enabled applications!