[tor-dev] Information on Pluggable Transports

Dr. Brandon Wiley brandon at blanu.net
Mon Oct 15 22:33:20 UTC 2018

Yes, there are implementations of PT 2.0 and 2.1 specifications. One of the
criteria that we have adopted in the 2.1 specification process is that
proposals need to have an implementation available before they can be
considered for inclusion in a release of the specification.

Tor uses the part of the specification known as the Dispatcher IPC
Interface to control a Pluggable Transport provider (known as a dispatcher)
running in a separate process. The 2.0 and 2.1 versions of this protocol
are compatible.

You can find a dispatcher implementation which conforms to the 2.1
specification and is backwards-compatible with the 2.0 Dispatcher IPC
Interface specification here:
https://github.com/OperatorFoundation/shapeshifter-dispatcher
This dispatcher implementation currently provides the obfs2, obfs4, and
Shadowsocks transports.

At one point, we (Operator Foundation) provided a patch to Tor implementing
the 2.0 Dispatcher IPC Interface. You can find the fork here:
https://oniongit.eu/nickm/tor/tree/dasyatid-rtt2017
You can find the associated Trac ticket here:

Operator Foundation does not currently have any plans to commit additional
resources to the Tor patch, but it is there as a starting point if anyone
is interested in pursuing the project of updating Tor to conform to the PT
2.0 (and 2.1) protocol. We will be continuing to update the dispatcher
implementation to match the specification as it evolves, as well as adding
new transports as they are developed.