[tor-dev] connectivity failure for top 100 relays

dawuud dawuud at riseup.net
Wed May 2 22:35:22 UTC 2018

> can you let me know the start and end date of the scan (2018-03-12?) so I can check how many of
> the relays you scanned (the top 100 relays by cw? at the time)

that scan only took an hour or so to perform and I posted the e-mail
minutes after the scan, so you can refer to the date in the e-mail header ;-)

> During your first scans (2017) there have  been no anti-dos features.

ah yeah that's true and i think we'll see lots of partitions in the
tor network if we continue to scan. although my latest results show
us that at least the top 100 tor relays are OK. we might find that
relays with a lower consensus measurement value might be getting more
traffic than they can handle which in turn causes those relays to drop
new circuit builds. just a theory. the new scan was done from a server
in the US... so i mean... we'll see what happens when we perform scans
from different locations repeatedly at different times of day.

> > What are the guidelines to avoid getting blocked by the tor network?
>
> stay under the public thresholds?
> https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-manual-dev.html.en#_denial_of_service_mitigation_options

ah thanks!

> > Is it possible to check the consensus to see if a client IP has been blocked?
>
> the consensus holds information about relays not about tor client IP addresses, but
> I assume you know that and I misunderstood your question?

hmm i was thinking that there could be a limited blacklist of client IPs but i guess there isn't one.
nevermind then.