[tor-dev] Tor Terminology + torspec

Nick Mathewson nickm at alum.mit.edu
Wed May 2 11:53:51 UTC 2018

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 4:56 AM, Iain Learmonth <irl at torproject.org> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Looking at the recent work on the Tor bandwidth measurements document
> format, I've noticed there are a few places where language can be
> ambiguous [0]. This morning, I noticed more ambiguity in some metrics
> tools [1]. We could do with a glossary.
>
> The problem though is not the lack of a glossary, but that we have at
> least 3 [2][3][4].
>
> I've just been discussing this with juga in IRC. For the Metrics
> glossary, I think (but please correct me if I'm wrong) that the Metrics
> team would be happy to have our glossary's definitions match up with
> torspec. I also think it would be cool if we only add new terms to the
> Metrics glossary if they have a corresponding term in torspec's glossary.
>
> Would the torspec maintainers be happy to review and merge patches for
> new terms to facilitate that?
>
> The community glossary is perhaps more broad than the Metrics or torspec
> glossaries, and so having all those terms in torspec would probably not
> be a useful thing to do.
>
> Would it be agreeable with the community team that terms that are
> already defined in torspec should not be overloaded and that new terms
> shouldn't be defined in torspec if they would have conflicting meanings
> with terms defined in the community glossary?
>
> If you have other ideas, then please do also suggest them.

In the abstract, I'm generally in favor of using the same terms and
vocabulary everywhere.  I guess that there might be specific cases where
some term is too entrenched to replace or something, but I bet we can
handle that when we come across it.

Let's start slow and easy, and work up to the more difficult stuff.

peace,
--
Nick