[tor-dev] Proposal: Tor bandwidth measurements document format

Iain Learmonth irl at torproject.org
Tue May 1 18:29:35 UTC 2018

Hi,

> Tor Bandwidth Measurements Document Format

"Measurement" could mean a method for performing a measurement, a single
measurement task, a schedule for a repeating measurement task, a
measurement result or a few other things.

When Large MeAsurement Platforms (LMAP) wrote documents in the IETF,
they only ever used measurement as an adjective to avoid any ambiguity.

https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-eardley-lmap-terminology-02.txt

The architecture for LMAP may not fit well with the bandwidth scanner
architecture, and so I'm not suggesting we adopt the terminology in that
document throughout.

>> 2. Format details
>>
>>   Bandwidth measurements MUST contain the following > sections:
>>   - Header (exactly once)
>>   - Relays measurements (zero or more times)
>
> Grammar suggestion: "Relay measurements".

In this case, this would become "Relay measurement result".

If desirable, I'd be happy to check through the document for any other
places ambiguities pop up, but I'll let others finish having their
comments integrated first.

Thanks,
Iain.