[tor-dev] Is there strictly a one-to-one BW scanner to BW auth relationship?

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sat Mar 24 00:21:38 UTC 2018

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 08:13:59PM -0400, Rob Jansen wrote:
> I understand that the current bandwidth measurement system is far from ideal, but I am wondering about how the current system works. Does each bandwidth authority also run a bandwidth scanner? Or is it possible that the results from a bandwidth scanner is supplied to multiple authorities?

I believe there are no scanners that supply answers to multiple directory
authorities.

You could in theory check whether this is true in practice by seeing if
any dir auths vote the same numbers.

I think in past bwauth sessions at meetings, people have made lists of
who runs which bwauth.

I think moria1 runs its own, and Faravahar runs its own. I've lost track
of the others, but I'd guess that bastet also runs its own, and that
maatuska pulls numbers from a bwauth that tjr runs.

https://consensus-health.torproject.org/#bwauthstatus

--Roger