[tor-dev] connectivity failure for top 100 relays

dawuud dawuud at riseup.net
Tue Mar 13 23:48:30 UTC 2018

I did another scan, this time with 3 seconds between each circuit
build and set the max connections to 50 with similar results as
yesterday:

9354 failure
2 timeout
544 success

most of the circuit build failures happened in under a second:

echo "select (end_time - start_time) / 1000 as duration from scan_log where duration < 1 AND status = 'failure';" | sqlite3 scan1.db | wc -l
9344

> txtorcon does expose both the 'reason' and the 'remote_reason' flags
> returned by the failure messages. In fact, it returns all flags that Tor
> sent during stream or circuit failures.
>
> The **kwargs in stream_closed, circuit_closed or circuit_failed
> notifications should all include "REASON" and many times will also
> include "REMOTE_REASON" (e.g. if the "other" relay closed the
> connection). For convenience, txtorcon also includes lower-cased
> versions of all the flags.

ah ok! I will take a look at this. I'd like to do another scan
while collecting this additional information.

> Would it be better, then, to pick one first hop and scan (sequentially)
> every second-hop using that first hop? (And maybe have say 5 or 10 such
> things going on at once?)

Maybe it's ok to make 7,000+ tor circuits sequentially from the same relay
if it's done very slowly?