[tor-dev] connectivity failure for top 100 relays

meejah meejah at meejah.ca
Tue Mar 13 15:52:14 UTC 2018

teor <teor2345 at gmail.com> writes:

> And where did you scan *from*?
> (It's hard to interpret the results without the latency and quality of your
> client connection.)

If I correctly understand what David's scanner is doing, so long as "a"
connection can make it to the first hop properly any other failure is
"the Tor network's fault", isn't it? (I mean, unless the first-hop
connection is so crappy it sometimes just times out or drops).

To me the important thing here would be to do the scans consistently
from the same network-vantage point and then at least subsequent scans
can be compared more consistently (right?).

For my scans (which are 3-hop) I re-try failing combinations up to 5
times before completely giving up -- but still fail to scan a bunch of
relays. These tests *do* fetch real data, though, so there's a lot more
opportunity for "bad things" to happen which aren't a problem of "the
Tor network" necessarily.

--
meejah