[tor-dev] Consensus-health single-relay data

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Fri Mar 9 19:28:49 UTC 2018

Please test http://utternoncesense.com/ : check the end of the page.
(Note this is a static link, I'm not updating it every hour).

I have tested it on Tor Browser and High Security Slider, seems to
work for me, but I want feedback on the UX and for bugs. Obviously
this doesn't work with js disabled, but it should at least tell you
what the issue is.

---

Under the covers while generating the detailed page, I also generate a
list of indexes for each relay. I lazy-load that list at the end of
the index page load (about 700kb). When you ask for a fingerprint it
makes a range request using that index. Even trying to be as speedy as
I could be, the lazy-load is quite fast. I'm hopeful the use case of
trying to paste a fingerprint in as fast as one can is acceptable and
speedy, so give that a shot.

I almost was able to do with with no apache config, but it turns out
that the HTTP spec is ambiguous about how to handle Range requests on
gzipped content, so Apache just doesn't. '    SetEnvIf
X-Requested-With XMLHttpRequest no-gzip' will fix it for this use
case.

In the future I expect to be able to extend this to inline-load
historical data from the prior consensus when you click the <- button;
but I have to give some more thought to how I want to display that.
(And it's more complicated in general.)

-tom