[tor-dev] Consensus-health single-relay data

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 19:30:25 UTC 2018

> On 7 Mar 2018, at 18:22, Tom Ritter <tom at ritter.vg> wrote:
>
> teor suggested the other day that it'd be really useful to be able to
> see the vote data for a single relay; since the _entire_ detailed page
> is huge and unwieldy.
>
> I've been pondering how I could support this without complicating the
> server, which results in a few constraints:
> a) I really don't want to create one file per-relay
> b) I really don't want to make any server-side logic, I'd like to keep
> it as static HTML and client-side javascript.  (With the client-side
> javascript optional for most of the information.)
>

> I think I can make something work using AJAX and Range requests
> though. Before I fly forward with that though, I wanted to understand
> a bit more about the use cases where one wants to see per-relay vote
> data.
>
> The biggest question I have for you teor (and anyone else who wants to
> chime in) is how do you know what relay you want the information for?
> Do you know the fingerprint?

I know whatever the relay operator supplies.
Usually, that's a fingerprint.
Sometimes, it's just a name or part of a name.

But most of the time, I have looked up the relay on Relay Search
before using Consensus Health. Or I could look it up, to avoid having
my browser grind for a minute downloading the large consensus
health page.

> If so, I could try adding a text box at the bottom of the index page
> saying "Supply a fingerprint, and I will populate vote data for this
> relay inline".

That would work for me.
And I think it would make consensus health more usable for
(some) relay operators.