[tor-dev] Proposal Waterfilling

Florentin Rochet florentin.rochet at uclouvain.be
Wed Mar 7 08:28:04 UTC 2018

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for your comments, you are definitely touching interesting aspects.

Here are thoughts regarding your objections:

1) The cost of IPs vs. bandwidth is definitely a function of market
offers. Your $500/Gbps/month seems quite expensive compared to what can
be found on OVH (which is hosting a large number of relays): they ask ~3
euros/IP/month, including unlimited 100 Mbps traffic. If we assume that
wgg = 2/3 and a water level at 10Mbps, this means that, if you want to
have 1Gbps of guard bandwidth,
- the current Tor mechanisms would cost you 3 * 10 * 3/2 = 45 euros/month
- the waterfilling mechanism would cost you 3 * 100 = 300 euros/month

We do not believe that this is conclusive, as the market changes, and
there certainly are dozens of other providers.

The same applies for 0-day attacks: if you need to buy them just for
attacking Tor, then they are expensive. If you are an organization in
the business of handling 0-day attacks for various other reasons, then
the costs are very different. And it may be unclear to determine if it
is easier/cheaper to compromise 1 top relay or 20 mid-level relays.

And we are not sure that the picture is so clear about botnets either:
bots that can become guards need to have high availability (in order to
pass the guard stability requirements), and such high availability bots
are also likely to have a bandwidth that is higher than the water level
(abandoned machines in university networks, ...). As a result,
waterfilling would increase the number of high availability bots that
are needed, which is likely to be hard.

2) Waterfilling makes it necessary for an adversary to run a larger
number of relays. Apart from the costs of service providers, this large
number of relays need to be managed in an apparently independent way,
otherwise they would become suspicious to community  members, like
nusenu who is doing a great job spotting all anomalies. It seems
plausible that running 100 relays in such a way that they look
independent is at least as difficult as doing that with 10 relays.

3) The question of the protection from relays, ASes or IXPs is puzzling,
and we do not have a strong opinion about it. We focused on relays
because they are what is available to any attacker, compared to ASes or
IXPs which are more specific adversaries. But, if there is a consensus
that ASes or IXPs should rather be considered as the main target, it is
easy to implement waterfilling at the AS or IXP level rather than at the
IP level: just aggregate the bandwidth relayed per AS or IXP, and apply
the waterfilling level computation method to them. Or we could mix the
weights obtained for all these adversaries, in order to get some
improvement against all of them instead of an improvement against only
one and being agnostic about the others.

4) More fundamentally, since the fundamental idea of Tor is to mix
traffic through a large number of relays, it seems to be a sound design
principle to make the choice of the critical relays as uniform as
possible, as Waterfilling aims to do. A casual Tor user may be concerned
to see that his traffic is very likely to be routed through a very small
number of top relays, and this effect is likely to increase as soon as
a  multi-cores compliant implementation of Tor rises (rust dev). Current
top relays which suffer from the main CPU bottleneck will probably be
free to relay even more bandwidth than they already do, and gain an even
more disproportionate consensus weight. Waterfilling might prevent that,
and keep those useful relays doing their job at the middle position of
paths.

We hope those thoughts can help, and thanks again for sharing yours.

Best,

Florentin and Olivier