[tor-dev] Ready to Integrate/Review New Marionette Version into Tor

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Tue Jul 24 02:05:29 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 04:12:21PM -0400, John Helmsen wrote:
> We are in the process of writing the documentation for Marionette, but the
> documentation on the web page should be sufficient for at least getting a full
> evaluation started.  We'd like to have the evaluation complete by the end of
> next month, hopefully the middle of next month, and stand ready to make any and
> all changes necessary.
>
> A full set of documentation will also be written for designing your own
> protocols.  This is in process.
>
> Please let us know what you need.

The Tor Browser developers may have more specific requests, but I can
suggest some steps to get started.

Open a ticket at https://trac.torproject.org/ for discussion and to
track progress.
	Type: project
	Component: Applications/Tor Browser
The old ticket for FTE is a good reference: https://bugs.torproject.org/10362

And then it would help if you port your build process to the Tor Browser
build system. General information:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorBrowser/Hacking
First, just build
	git clone https://git.torproject.org/builders/tor-browser-build.git
	cd tor-browser-build
	git checkout tbb-8.0a9-build3
	make testbuild # or, e.g., testbuild-linux-x86_64
Then you'll have to add a new project (consisting of a "build" and
"config" file) for Marionette and each of its dependencies. You can copy
from existing projects as templates. Here is the meek project, for
example:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/builders/tor-browser-build.git/tree/projects/meek
You'll also need to add bridge lines to:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/builders/tor-browser-build.git/tree/projects/tor-browser/Bundle-Data/PTConfigs/bridge_prefs.js
To build just one project, not an entire release, do e.g.:
	rbm/rbm build gmp --target testbuild --target torbrowser-linux-x86_64
	rbm/rbm build marionette --target testbuild --target torbrowser-linux-x86_64