[tor-dev] Proposal: Expose raw bwauth votes

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 03:12:53 UTC 2018

Hi,

It looks like this proposal was lost, and never committed to torspec.
Sorry about that!

Juga and I have updated the proposal.
Please see the full text inline below.

We have also written the corresponding dir-spec patch:
https://github.com/torproject/torspec/pull/26/files

We are tracking the spec and proposal in:

The Tor implementation in:

And the Collector implementation in:

> On 16 Jan 2018, at 08:23, Tom Ritter <tom at ritter.vg> wrote:
>
> On 12 December 2017 at 12:44, isis agora lovecruft <isis at torproject.org> wrote:
>
>>> An authority SHOULD publish the bwauth vote used to calculate its
>>> current vote. It should make the bwauth vote file available at the
>>> same time as its normal vote file. It should make the file available
>>> at
>>>  http://<hostname>/tor/status-vote/next/bwauth.z
>>
>> If it's "next", how is it possible to expose it at the same time as its vote
>> which is based upon it?  Maybe we should change the URL to be "current"?
>
> teor suggested 'now'?  I'll make it whichever you think it should be =)

We changed the scheme so the bandwidth file at
   status-vote/(next|current)/bandwidth.z

is the bandwidth file used to produce:
   status-vote/(next|current)/authority.z

We publish the bandwidth file to next/ when the vote is published to next/.
And the same with current.

It should be relatively easy to implement this publishing in the tor code.
And to implement downloads in Collector.

>>> The raw bwauth vote file does not [really: is not believed to] expose
>>> any sensitive information.  All authorities currently make this
>>> document public already, an example is at
>>>  https://bwauth.ritter.vg/bwauth/bwscan.V3BandwidthsFile
>>
>> Maybe we want to think about resource exhaustion attacks if we're making a
>> standarised interface available to it?  The response after all is going
>> likely always be much larger than the request.
>
> teor suggested compressing and streaming from disk?

We’ll need to take a copy of the file anyway, to avoid race conditions.
We can use the same code we use for the rest of the directory documents.

Filename: xxx-expose-bandwidth-files.txt
Title: Have Directory Authorities expose raw bandwidth list files