[tor-dev] the consequences of deprecating debian alpha repos with every new major branch

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 09:47:12 UTC 2018

>>> Hi,

>>> As an alternative strategy, symbolic links for old alpha repositories
>>> point to the current stable repository.
>>
>> apt will complain if the Suite/Codename in the Release file doesn't
>> match what it expects.  symlinks don't change anything.
>
> Also, jftr, users who have just the experimental sources.list entry
> without the corresponding non-experimental one are already doing it
> wrong, not following documented best practice.

The generator at:
https://www.torproject.org/docs/debian.html.en
creates lines for the alpha and stable series when the
alpha is selected. (And it creates nightly and stable for nightly.)

So relays automatically transition to stable once the alpha series
disappears. I've closed #26621, because we don't need to do
anything more.