[tor-dev] the consequences of deprecating debian alpha repos with every new major branch

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 05:49:47 UTC 2018

> On 2 Jul 2018, at 00:57, Iain Learmonth <irl at torproject.org> wrote:
>
> Signed PGP part
> Hi,
>
> On 30/06/18 15:42, nusenu wrote:
>> but maybe someone else would be willing to invoke a
>> "ln" commands everytime a new new alpha repo is born.
>>
>> tor-alpha-jessie -> tor-experimental-0.3.4.x-jessie

But then operators get updated to a new major version when they’re not
expecting it. (We could document that if you select “alpha”, you should
expect to get breaking updates every so often.)

> As an alternative strategy, symbolic links for old alpha repositories
> point to the current stable repository. If you're not updating your
> sources.list you end up on the stable branch. I think this would mean
> "less surprises" than jumping to a new alpha branch.

I opened a ticket with the old experimental -> stable suggestion:

But what do we do with `tor-experimental-0.3.3.x-jessie -> jessie` when
0.3.4 is stable?

Delete it?
But then operators don't get updates.

Keep it?
But then operators get updated to a new major version when they’re not
expecting it.

Maybe there is no good solution to this problem.
What’s the least worse solution?