[tor-dev] man: "IPv6 addresses should be wrapped in square brackets"

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 00:03:50 UTC 2018

> On 1 Jul 2018, at 07:22, nusenu <nusenu-lists at riseup.net> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> tor's man page for OutboundBindAddress* options say:
>
>> IPv6 addresses should be wrapped in square brackets
>
> since it does not throw an error without square brackets:
> does it make any difference?

When an option only takes an IP address, it does not make a difference.
(As long as the underlying code uses tor_addr_parse().)

When an option takes an IP address and port, the brackets are required to
separate the port from the IPv6 address. That's why we say that all IPv6
addresses should have square brackets.

> Previously I forgot the square brackets when generating torrc
> files with relayor and I would like to document the impact
> of my bug (if there is any).

No impact, but you should use square brackets for consistency.