[tor-dev] Starting with contributing to Anonymous Local Count Statistics.

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Wed Jan 31 13:02:22 UTC 2018

Aruna Maurya <aruna.maurya12 at gmail.com> writes:

> [ text/plain ]
> Hey!
>
> I was going through the Tor Volunteer page and came across the Anonymous
> local count statistics project. As a student it would be a great starting
> point and an even bigger opportunity to get a chance to collaborate and
> learn in the process.
>
> I would like to contribute to it, and would love to start as soon as
> possible. It would be great if someone could guide me through.

Hello Aruna,

thanks for reaching out.

I also find this project interesting. I'd like to help you but my time
is quite limited lately.

What would you like guidance with?

With regards to design, I suggest you take a look at the last comments
of this trac ticket:  https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/7532#comment:22
Particularly it seems like the PCSA algorithm might be a reasonable way
forward.

With regards to coding, I suggest you familiarize yourself with the Tor
codebase. Some specific places to look at would be the way that Tor
currently counts users. For example, see geoip_note_client_seen() and
its callers, for when bridges register new clients to their stats
subsystem. Also check geoip_format_bridge_stats() for when bridges
finally report those stats.

Let us know if you have any specific questions!

Cheers!