[tor-dev] [tor-relays] Marker branch for current tor release(s)

Andreas Krey a.krey at gmx.de
Thu Jan 25 09:08:07 UTC 2018

On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 10:42:42 +0000, Nick Mathewson wrote:
> > Can we maintain an "alpha" branch with the latest Tor alpha,
> > and a "stable" branch with the latest Tor stable?
>
> Hm. I'm not strictly opposed to the idea, but I'd like to think about
> how it would work. The history of such branches would get pretty
> convoluted....
> And we really really
> don't want to have force-pushes in the canonical repo.

You don't want force-pushes to anything but 'current' and 'alpha',
and to make that policy clear.

E.g. git.git itself has a branch 'pu' that does forced updates
daily, as some topic branches are re-merged onto the current
master (or similar) and republished as that 'pu'. That branch
just serves as a means to show some current state; and master
etc. don't get force-pushed.

The 'weird merges' way is sufficiently weird that I rather
not have a 'current' that have a weird 'current'. :-)

> Another possibility here: what if instead of using separate branches
> for this, we used a separate repository, and said "this repository
> will get force-pushes; it's only meant for tracking releases."

Also a way, would be good for me. I was already thinking of setting up
a github repo that is a mirror of https://git.torproject.org/tor.git
plus the 'current' and 'alpha' branches, but such a thing wouldn't get
any blessing or traction.

- Andreas

--
"Totally trivial. Famous last words."