[tor-dev] Pluggable transports research

Yawning Angel yawning at schwanenlied.me
Thu Jan 25 02:11:07 UTC 2018

On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 16:42:52 -0800
Jodi Spacek <jodi.spacek at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm a master's student at the University of British Columbia
> (Vancouver, Canada) where I'm primarily researching anonymous systems
> and censorship. I would be delighted to contribute to pluggable
> transports.
>
> Of particular interest is image and audio data stenography - is
> anything is in the works for this or is it outdated? My aim is to add
> this functionality while fully testing and evaluating it as part of
> my thesis project. I refer to the list of idea suggestions here:
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/PluggableTransports/ideas

As far as I am aware (nb: haven't been keeping up with research in
this area), no one has come up with a good solution to the
issues mentioned in:

  Geddes, J., Schuchard, M., Hopper, N., "Cover Your ACKs: Pitfalls of
  Covert Channel Censorship Circumvention".

  https://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~hoppernj/ccs13-cya.pdf

Regards,

--
Yawning Angel