[tor-dev] Pluggable transports research

Brandon Wiley brandon at blanu.net
Thu Jan 25 01:08:07 UTC 2018

Hello Jodi. I would like to point out some additional resources for you if
you are interested in Pluggable Transports. First of all check out
https://www.pluggabletransports.info/.

Also, some work has been done in the past on audio data as a transport.
There is of course the venerable SkypeMorph (
http://cacr.uwaterloo.ca/techreports/2012/cacr2012-08.pdf) and also
SkypeLine (
http://hgi.rub.de/media/attachments/files/2016/02/technical_report.pdf).

I have some general advice for implementing transports as well. Consider
your threat model before you design a transport using novel techniques. See
for instance the paper "Seeing Through Network-Protocol Obfuscation" (
https://kpdyer.com/publications/ccs2015-measurement.pdf). Also, if you want
to design a transport specifically for use with Tor, consider Tor's
specific needs. Tor has specific bandwidth requirements that need to be met
by the transport. Also, if you are going to attempt to mimic a protocol for
an existing audio or video application, consider what networks block Tor
and what audio and video applications are available on those networks.
Skype, for instance, is blocked on some of the same networks as Tor, and so
for those networks mimicking Skype traffic would not be an effective means
to circumvent blocking.