[tor-dev] No Control Socket when DisableNetwork 1

Yawning Angel yawning at schwanenlied.me
Sat Jan 20 08:47:46 UTC 2018

On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 23:22:00 +0000
iry <iry at riseup.net> wrote:
> According to the Tor manual:
> https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-manual-dev.html.en
>
> > DisableNetwork 0|1 When this option is set, we don’t listen for or
> > accept any connections other than controller connections, and we
> > close (and don’t reattempt) any outbound connections. Controllers
> > sometimes use this option to avoid using the network until Tor is
> > fully configured. (Default: 0)
>
> However, it seems when DisableNetwork is set to 1,
> /var/run/tor/control does not exist anymore making us cannot get a
> controller from socket file.
> (stem.control.Controller.from_socket_file() is affected in this case:
> https://stem.torproject.org/api/control.html#stem.control.Controller.fro
> m_socket_file)

I'm fairly certain you are doing something wrong, because I'm using a
tor process that was launched with DisableNetwork set to 1 in the torrc,
and toggled to 0 via the ControlPort right now to browse the web (Tested
with the copy of 0.3.1.9 that is distributed with Tor Browser).

https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor-browser/sandboxed-tor-browser.git/tree/data/torrc
https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor-browser/sandboxed-tor-browser.git/tree/src/cmd/sandboxed-tor-browser/internal/tor/tor.go#n342

To reproduce this working, if anyone out there still uses the sandbox I
wrote, and can get a working browser without using an external tor
instance, ta dah, it's working.

Normal Tor Browser has a similar launch process, and can even be coaxed
into using AF_UNIX sockets (though it's utterly pointless to do so).

nb: It can take a while for the control port to actually be available
after the tor daemon is spawned.  The best way I found to deal with
this is via using `ControlPortWriteToFile` since the file gets
created after the control port listener is created.  You could also use
something like inotify on Linux, but that's non-portable.

Regards,

--
Yawning Angel