[tor-dev] Tor dev help

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 01:15:57 UTC 2018

> On 11 Jan 2018, at 11:30, Beastr0 <beastr0 at protonmail.com> wrote:
>
> (yeah, ik you guys got this running on some automated script or something but I don't have access and that sounds unnecessarily complicated so I'm just gonna do this quick header for context)

We have fallback directory mirrors to make it easier for
clients to bootstrap (initial Tor network connection):

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/FallbackDirectoryMirrors

It's a manual script that anyone can run:

scripts/maint/updateFallbackDirs.py

Instructions:

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/UpdatingFallbackDirectoryMirrors

We commit the results every 6-12 months.

We want to create another script for authority updates.
They don't happen very often.

> >Sounds great!
>> >Are there any particular parts of Tor you want to help improve?
>> >(Clients, Relays, Exits? IPv6?)
>>
>>       No, nothing I can think of now. I'll let you guys know if that changes or something though.
>>
>> >Do you want a suggestion?
>>
>>       Sure
>>
>> >I am working on making it easier for external libraries to use Tor's
>> hard-coded directory lists:
>> >https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/24818
>> >The next task is to split the directory authority list into its own file:
>> >https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/24854
>> >And then after that, we want to generate the lists in a standard format.
>> >This would be a good way to learn how Tor contacts the network when it
>> starts up.
>

> Assuming this is what you meant by your suggestion then yes, I would definitely love to help you out with these tickets! I can start working on them right now.

Great!

Can you set your mail client to send plain text emails?
I'm seeing some weird formatting in your replies.

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n