[tor-dev] Public Key Chaos

thomas.hluchnik at netcologne.de thomas.hluchnik at netcologne.de
Wed Jan 10 10:10:52 UTC 2018

Hello all,

I am just going to update my tor server, building packages from source. I do that not only for tor but also for libevent. So I downloaded the tarballs plus signature from libevent.org and that's what I found:

$ gpg --verify libevent-2.0.22-stable.tar.gz.asc
gpg: Signature made Mon Jan  5 16:16:20 2015 CET using RSA key ID 8D29319A
gpg: Good signature from "Nick Mathewson <nickm at alum.mit.edu>"
gpg:                 aka "Nick Mathewson <nickm at wangafu.net>"
gpg:                 aka "Nick Mathewson <nickm at freehaven.net>"
gpg:                 aka "[jpeg image of size 3369]"

$ gpg --verify libevent-2.1.8-stable.tar.gz.asc
gpg: Signature made Sun Jan 29 19:42:03 2017 CET using RSA key ID 8EF8686D
gpg: Good signature from "Azat Khuzhin <a3at.mail at gmail.com>"
gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
Primary key fingerprint: 9E3A C83A 2797 4B84 D1B3  401D B860 8684 8EF8 686D

$ gpg --list-sigs "Azat Khuzhin"
pub   2048R/8EF8686D 2010-06-10
uid                  Azat Khuzhin <a3at.mail at gmail.com>
sig 3        8EF8686D 2010-06-10  Azat Khuzhin <a3at.mail at gmail.com>
sub   2048R/7A34F923 2010-06-10
sig          8EF8686D 2010-06-10  Azat Khuzhin <a3at.mail at gmail.com>

While nickm at alum.mit.edu was signed by many, many people, I find no signature for "Azat Khuzhin <a3at.mail at gmail.com>" at all. How can I trust that key? How can I be sure that libevent 2.1.8 is a good package? Why has Azat Khuzhin public key no signature from Nick Mathewson or anyone else? I don't trust that package for now until I find it signed with the keys of at least Nick Mathewson and Niels Provos.

Correct me if I a wrong.

Best Regards, Thomas