[tor-dev] Proposal 285: Directory documents should be standardized as UTF-8

Nick Mathewson nickm at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jan 9 17:19:33 UTC 2018

On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 4:05 PM, chelsea komlo <me at chelseakomlo.com> wrote:
> It is great that we are identifying places to improve support for Rust in
> Tor.
>
> Along this same line of thinking, are there other places in Tor where we
> will need to move to supporting UTF-8? For example, should the statefile be
> UTF-8 also?

I think we could safely say that the torrc and state files need to be
UTF-8, though that wouldn't need a design proposal.  We'd want to do a
two-phase transition, though: first warning, then disallowing.

We could also, at some point, specify that the control protocol needs
to be UTF-8 too, I think.  That one would need a proposal, and a
transition plan.
--
Nick