[tor-dev] Error-Correcting Onions with Bech32

nullius nullius at nym.zone
Mon Jan 1 23:51:14 UTC 2018

On 2018-01-01 at 22:36:53 +0000, Taylor R Campbell
<campbell+tor-dev at mumble.net> wrote:
>> Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 11:46:28 +0000
>> From: Alec Muffett <alec.muffett at gmail.com>
>>
>> Or, indeed, you could leave out the hyphens and do the same; the Prop224
>> Onion address is 59 characters, leaving a budget of 63-59==4 characters or
>> 20 bits; we could put these at the end, in the space marked "@@@@":
>>
>>   https://www4acth47i6kxnvkewtm6q7ib2s3ufpo5sqbsnzjpbi7utijcltosqemad@@@@.onion/

Actually, the label part is 56 characters, not 59 characters.
rend-spec-v3.txt, § 6 [ONIONADDRESS].  See also § 1.2 [NAMING] (“The
result is a 56-character domain name”—nit, that should be “label”).
Using the first example example address therefrom:

$ bech32 -e pg6mmjiyjmcrsslvykfwnntlaru7p5svn6y2ymmju6nubxndf4pscryd.onion
onion10x7vvfgcfvz3jjt4c29kddntq35l0aj4d7c6cvvf57d5phdr9u0jz3crm5jhsx

Of course, 56 + 6 = ...

$ echo -n \
	0x7vvfgcfvz3jjt4c29kddntq35l0aj4d7c6cvvf57d5phdr9u0jz3crm5jhsx \
	| wc -c
62

N.b. that this still includes the two octets of truncated SHA3-256,
wrapped inside a format with 30 bits of error-correcting BCH code.
Decoding/re-encoding the name to drop the SHA3 bits would cut the
payload from 280 to 264 octets, which could be represented in 53+6=59
Bech32 characters with the BCH ECC.

I also question whether the onion version needs a whole octet.  In the
specific application of Bech32 to Bitcoin, the “witness version”
(version of encoded tx auth program) is restricted to 0–16, inclusive;
and the Bech32 coding is done with one of what I will call a “quintet”
char (5 bits) for the version, followed by the encoding of 8-bit octets
of the witness program.[0]  If the .onion version were resticted to 0–15
so as to fit in 4 bits, then only 260 bits = 52 quintets would be needed
to express the version plus the 256-bit master identity key.  How many
.onion address versions are expected in, say, the next 20–30 years?
Adding a 6-char BCH code, the total label length would be 58 quintet
characters.

At these lengths, I think every character of pseudorandom data which can
be reasonably shaved off is a significant win for wetware UX.

0. Note, Bech32 encoding rules do not require that the encoded bit
length be a multiple of 5.  The standard prescribes the simple rule that
strings of octets be zero-padded to a multiple of 5 bits when encoding,
and decoded to octets with up to 4 trailing 0 bits discarded.
https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0173.mediawiki

>Existing checksum in v3 addresses aside, what would prevent using a
>second DNS label for a longer checksum if you wanted a bigger budget?
>
>The labels are limited to 63 octets, but the whole name can be up to
>255 (including label length bytes).

I expect that the user burden of a greater length of pseudorandom
gibberish would outweigh any possible UX benefit of adding more checksum
data.  A 6-quintet BCH code already provides error correction,
guarantees detection of errors affecting not more than 4 characters, and
has a <10^-9 probability of failing to detect a greater number of
errors.  Is better than that really needed?

Upon the same cryptographic self-validation principle which .onion
applies in the first place, I have also considered such possibilities as
encoding a TLS public key fingerprint in subdomain labels.  The
fingerprint could be automatically verified by the connecting TLS client
against the same data it itself provides via SNI.  This could alleviate
the current need to get CAB Forum to approve some form of DV for .onion
certificates.  However, the results must be considered absolutely
impracticable for humans transcription.  The usage model would rely
exclusively on bookmarks, copypaste, etc.

--
nullius at nym.zone | PGP ECC: 0xC2E91CD74A4C57A105F6C21B5A00591B2F307E0C
Bitcoin: bc1qcash96s5jqppzsp8hy8swkggf7f6agex98an7h | (Segwit nested: