[tor-dev] [prop-meeting] [prop#285] "Directory documents should be standardized as UTF-8"

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Wed Feb 14 00:03:58 UTC 2018

> For the metrics tools there are some guidelines on this we can follow:
> https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/i18n/text/design.html. The other
> language would be Python (for stem), but Python developers have probably
> got a good understanding of unicode/str/bytes by now. (In Python 3: when
> using UTF-8, BOM will not be stripped and will be interpreted as data,
> and you can have a NUL in a str).

Hi Iain. Actually, for Stem I'm really looking forward to this too.
Stem has special handling for the contact and platform fields (iirc
the only spot non-ascii content can presently appear). Stem's parsers
and API will be simplified once everything is uniformly utf-8. :P

Possibly a stupid question but any reason not to require the whole
descriptor document to be printable characters?