[tor-dev] Proposal: only parse .torrc files in torrc.d directory

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 04:24:03 UTC 2018

> On 4 Feb 2018, at 15:04, iry <iry at riseup.net> wrote:
>
>>> Therefore, may I propose to let Tor parse only the files whose
>>> name ends with .torrc ?
>>
>> Yes, this is standard behaviour among many tools.

To be more precise, most tools accept files ending in ".conf".
We might want tor to accept ".conf" for consistency.

I suggest we also accept files called "torrc", or ending in ".torrc".
This should probably also include files called literally ".torrc".

Since this is a breaking change, we might want to check if any
distribution has adopted another naming scheme, and avoid
breaking that naming scheme.

>>> Or maybe even only parse number_filename.torrc for better
>>> consistency and for more clear priority order?
>>
>> No, this is counter-intuitive. It will confuse many users. It is
>> not how most other tools work.
>
> Thank you so much for the feedback, teor!
>
> I have opened the ticket #25140 for this. Shall I try to make a patch
> on this? Or is it preferred to leave it to developers from TPO?

We accept patches from anyone.

If you'd like your patch to be reviewed quickly:
* put the ticket in 0.3.3, because it's a bugfix
* change the status to "needs review" once you have a patch

Thanks!