[tor-dev] Starting with contributing to Anonymous Local Count Statistics.

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Fri Feb 2 11:03:47 UTC 2018

Jaskaran Singh <jvsg1303 at gmail.com> writes:

> [ text/plain ]
> Hi,
>
> I thought the project idea had already been depreciated in favor of
> counting unique users by directory fetches. No?

Yes, we do count unique users by directory fetches for the "active Tor
users" metric: https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-relay-country.html

But we also use in-memory data structures tracking IP addresses to count
unique users per-country: https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-bridge-combined.html?start=2017-11-04&end=2018-02-02&country=dz

I was not aware that we are planning to deprecate the latter in favor of
counting directory fetches. Did you get that from somewhere? Perhaps it
could make sense, not sure.

Cheers!