[tor-dev] HTTPS and Tor Onion v3 Services

Nathaniel Suchy me at lunorian.is
Fri Dec 28 17:17:36 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

So I have an idea which may or may not be a possibility. Currently Tor Onion Services do not need HTTPS since they are already end to end encrypted. That said multiple layers of crypto cannot hurt, Facebook for example uses this approach. So I have the idea of some sort of mechanism that lets you sign a self-signed tls certificate with your Onion Service's hs_ed25519_secret_key and Tor Browser trusting the tls certificate based on this signature. Would this approach work? Would it be worth the effort? Look forward to hearing your thoughts :)

Cordially,
Nathaniel Suchy