[tor-dev] Tor Volunteer

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Mon Aug 27 08:46:55 UTC 2018

Hi Esaul and Milan,

thanks for reaching out!

And yes, with the background you two mention you might indeed be great
fits for the metrics team. Going through the lists:

 - statistics: Here is an idea that I wrote down three weeks ago for
another volunteer who might already have started with it, in which case
it would be great to coordinate work a little bit:

We recently finished writing a specification for reproducing the data
behind our graphs. It's still a work in progress. One remaining step is
that we'd love people to take a section or two out of that
specification, take original Tor network data, and actually try to
reproduce our aggregated numbers. And maybe there are still things in
our text that can be phrased more clearly, things that are described
wrong, or possibly even interesting facts to be found while working with
the data. In any case, the specification page is here:

https://metrics.torproject.org/reproducible-metrics.html

 - python: Most of our code is written in Java, so we don't really need
help with Python at the moment.

 - R: Quick idea: We recently started refactoring our R code to use more
libraries of the tidyverse, including dplyr and tidyr. The easy
functions are already refactored, but more work remains with the more
difficult functions. If somebody would want to pick this up and refactor
the remaining functions, that would be cool:

 - web development(react, nodejs, monbodb, aws, dynamob): Not much to do
here at the moment. This may change in the future.

 - Linux: Same. Not much to do here right now. Unless Iain has an idea.

Would you want to drop by our next team meeting? It happens today
(Monday, August 27) at 14:30 UTC in #tor-meeting on OFTC. Here's the
announcement:

https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/metrics-team/2018-August/000887.html

Thanks!

All the best,