[tor-dev] Relay diversity master thesis

Robin Descamps robin.descamps at outlook.com
Tue Aug 21 14:23:26 UTC 2018

Hello,

I would like to share with you the master thesis I wrote this year on a topic concerning diversity in Tor, that I evoked earlier this year. I would like to thanks all the dev that have shared feedback with me about my thesis plan. This work may not be perfect, but could start/influence the research in the future hopefully. Here is the abstract and the access link:

Tor is the most popular anonymous communication system nowadays, that set up a excellent compromise between anonymity and performance. However, Tor is by design vulnerable to end-to-end correlation attacks. Many techniques have been and are being developed in order to mitigate these attacks. This master thesis objective is to define the utility of a new relay, and to give a measure of its contribution to the diversity of the network. This is achieved with a modified version of the TorPS , which simulate the Tor network against both relay and network adversaries. More diversity means less end-to-end correlation attacks possible by the latter. At the end, we would like the volunteers to be aware of the utility they bring to the Tor network security with a certain relay configuration.

https://dial.uclouvain.be/memoire/ucl/fr/object/thesis%3A14661<https://dial.uclouvain.be/memoire/ucl/fr/object/thesis:14661>

Thanks,

Robin Descamps